Thursday, October 25, 2012

Four Reasons Why

Here are four reasons why you should head for the library. Right now. Or as soon as you get to school. Try to contain your enthusiasm.

Disclaimer: All of these titles have some sexual content ranging from implied to explicit. 
 
Unwind by Neal Shusterman

This book absolutely terrified me. Granted, I have a brother who has undergone two organ transplants to date, so novels like this one and Never Let Me Go by the masterful Kazuo Ishiguro haunt me at a very basic level. But I am not easily scared, in general, by literature. Neal Shusterman has managed to tap into a dystopia so disturbing that I couldn't sleep the night I finished it. The action is intense, the three protagonists are fascinating in their similarities and their differences, and the ethical questions about our society today are downright eerie. The actual unwinding scene is one of the most beautifully crafted I have ever read, but it also made me want to throw up my lunch. Have I got your attention yet?

13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

I didn't love this book, but you might. It deals with bullying and suicide prevention, both of which are incredibly serious issues. Here's the issue I had, and it's personal, so you can disagree with me in your head, but you can't tell me I'm wrong. So there. I was bullied from the end of elementary school to the beginning of high school; I have the scars to prove it. But I'm still here. I wasn't convinced that Hannah would have made the choice she made and reached out when she did. I still sense a flicker of hope in her voice. So for me, the premise of the book, ultimately, did not ring true with the girl I came to know. Nonetheless, you should read this book, think about it, and carefully consider your words and actions for a long time afterwards.

The Secret to Lying by Todd Mitchell

This was an interesting read. The protagonist, James, goes through a transformation as complete as any I've seen in recent YA titles. And it's not pleasant. A realistic, contemporary story, this one will make you squirm in your seat. The decisions James makes are uncomfortable and his personality is unlikable. The book brings up some difficult questions about the identity of a teenager who feels like a non-person. Read this book and let me know if you dislike James as much as I did.

My Most Excellent Year: A Novel of Love, Mary Poppins, and Fenway Park by Steve Kluger 

This one I loved. About 110%. And I read A LOT, people. I read this novel at the suggestion of my good friend, The Boy Reader, who is an elementary school teacher. But this isn't an elementary school book. Don't let the flying lady with the umbrella fool you. The main characters, T.C., Augie, and Ale, are all incredibly authentic high school students. I loved their interactions, their crises, their friendship...every last drop of it. But what I loved the most is that this book normalizes the experience of being a gay high school boy. Augie is Kurt Hummel before Kurt Hummel came to be. Or maybe he's Chris Colfer. Or something like that. You get the point, right? READ THIS BOOK. It is gentle, beautiful, and a revelation all in one neat little package.

No comments:

Post a Comment